Denver Mayor Michael Hancock unveiled his one-year strategic economic development plan, called JumpStart 2012. The goal is to “create world-class opportunities” for Denver’s businesses, residents and neighborhoods. Under this plan, the Denver Office of Economic Development (OED) will undertake seven strategic initiatives, or “pillars,” including:
- Business Retention – Retain and strengthen Denver-based companies.
- Small Business Advocacy – Create an environment to help small business thrive through collaboration between public, private and nonprofit sectors.
- Business Recruitment – Increase the number and quality of companies that relocate to Denver.
- Sustainable Neighborhood Development – Drive strategic investment in neighborhoods hardest hit by the recession to develop eco-friendly affordable housing and sustainable economic development.
- Business Lending – Make the Business Lending Program a key tool for advancing economic development strategy.
- Key Strategic Projects – Execute strategic projects and small business opportunity initiatives to maximize the positive economic impact on the City of Denver.
- Workforce Development – Establish Denver as the city with the most highly skilled and productive workforce.
Inspiring Colorado Business Growth
One specific focus will be around several thousand acres outside of Denver International Airport. The OED report says that this area can house manufacturing facilities, particularly in aerospace, defense and clean teach, as well as exporting high-value, low-weight products through foreign trade zones administered by OED.
Of course, the best laid plans need to be put into action, and I will be monitoring the progress of JumpStart 2012. I like to keep myself informed about these types of city and state wide programs and plans in order to advise my LLC, C Corp and S Corp clients on the most advantageous strategic planning and business formation strategies for their Colorado small business.
Copyright © 2011 Hasan, LLC. All rights reserved.
“Start Line” under CC license by jayneandd